Monday, February 11, 2019

IF:Gathering 2019 Notes


I spent this weekend in Dallas at IF:Gathering. IF is a conference for women, by women, to point to Jesus and teach women to disciple their generation. I have loved IF and it's founder, Jennie Allen, for a long time, and so attending the conference in person was extra special. I also got to spend a couple of days with my wonderful cousin in Dallas! I came away filled, encouraged, challenged, and inspired. 

As I sort through my notes today, I wanted to share a little of what I learned and what I'm most excited about. The conference focused on Proverbs this year, so I learned a lot of practical wisdom. My notes usually look more like bullet points, so that's how I'll share here. BONUS for you: if you click here you can watch IF:Gathering online!
  • Proverbs 1:7 says "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Is it possible that we have learned a lot of things about God but we have not feared or truly known Him? This fear of God is not the end, though. The end is love. (1 John 4:18) Jesus drove out the fear with his love. (1 John 4:9-10) Live in His love and let His love live in us. {Jennie Allen}
  • "God has only ever used ordinary people to do extraordinary things." Christine Caine
  • "The creation of small outposts of truth and beauty will change the world." Curt Thompson
  • "Jesus I give all to you, not half my heart but all." Jill Briscoe
  • Wisdom and instruction are wrapped in deep relationship. Jefferson Bethke
So what did I learn? I learned that I must absolutely be grounded in God's word. Time with him is what changes me and what keeps me near Him. I learned that God's call for me (and for all of us) is to point people to Jesus. This happens through deep, intentional discipleship relationships where we learn and grow through quality time and honest communication. I learned that God is asking me to keep going forward, to keep fighting for Him, even when it feels incredibly difficult. And I learned that Jesus not only loves me, but he also likes me.

This quite seriously only scratches the surface. I wish I could tell each one of you all the things. Go watch IF! And tell me, what is God teaching you?


IF also sent all the attendees home with Jennie Allen's new study on 1 Corinthians. (It's currently available for pre-order on Amazon.) I am so excited about it and plan to do it with a friend! If you're looking for a good study, try it out. Plus, there are videos on Right Now Media to go along with the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment