Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Hidden Days of Motherhood

Has anyone else been sick for days and days? We haven't been able to kick this round of sickness for a couple of weeks now. All five of us have gone down, and I'm the final casualty. Today I can barely talk, which doesn't work well when I have to keep little people alive. 

I find that sickness pulls me back toward home, into a reflective mood and quiet days. The busyness of life gives way to unexpected days at home and cancelled plans. This has felt really lonely. It has also been much-needed. 



I was talking with my sister and a close friend last week about how difficult motherhood can be. I often feel unseen and unimportant. I feel constantly frustrated with the complaints and needs of my children. I know in my head that being home with my children matters, but in the everyday diaper changes, nose wipes, and time-outs, it often doesn't feel that way. In both conversations, my sister and friend reminded me that seasons of quiet, unnoticed work matter to God. My sister pointed me toward God's name "El Roi" which means the God who sees me. (I've been diving deep into this name of God and have so much more to say about it soon.)

In the hidden days of motherhood, isn't it a gift that God sees us? Our long days don't go unnoticed to him. He celebrates or victories and draws us near when there are tears. I hope today you can grab hold of the comforting presence of God in your smallest, dirtiest, loudest moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment