Tuesday, June 5, 2012

New Life for Old T-Shirts

I have quite a few old t-shirts from different events of the past several years. The sentimental part of me just can't bear to get rid of them, but I don't really wear t-shirts unless I'm doing heavy duty cleaning or really don't feel good. I found a tutorial on Pinterest based on this post by Dollars, Sense & More and decided to give it a try. It takes an old t-shirt and turns it into a cute tank top for work outs or days around the house. I'm really happy with how it turned out!

 Step One:
Find an old t-shirt. Pretty simple! My only suggestion would be to choose one that's a little big on you. I made mine out of a size small (I typically wear small/x-small) and I think a medium would have given me a little more room.
Step Two:
Cut around the neck, staying close to the original neck seam.


 Step Three:
Cut around both sleeves, again sticking close to the seam.

 Step Four:
 Cut the front of the neck again, making it into a U shape with about 1 1/2 inches coming off at the center point. You should end up with a cut piece of fabric that looks like a smiley face. Also cut another 1 1/2-2 inches off the sleeves.
Step Five:
Cut a rectangle from one of the discarded sleeve pieces that is about 8 inches by 2 inches. Pull on the long ends until it rolls.


 Step Six:
Tie the strip of fabric around the back part of the t-shirt. Wrap it twice, double knot it, and tuck in the ends.
And there you have it! Here's a front view. Sorry it's blurry!
Here's a back view (kind of). It's hard to take pictures of yourself using a mirror! As you can see, I'm wearing a tank underneath, but this would also be cute with a sports bra.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT idea! That's pretty much what I wear T-shirts for too. Love the cute twist in the back:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete